Skip to main content

The process

So, I've been looking at this for a few years and have accumulated a bit of knowledge around it but most of you are unlikely to be familiar with it, so I thought it would be worth sharing.

Initial conversations and (mandatory) information days with the adoption agency or agencies (I'll come back to agencies in another post) is called Pre-Stage one. This is where you have all the basic eligibility discussions with the social worker and commit to the agency that you will go through - that agency will also be the one to provide support for the first three years after the adoption.

The process steps up a great deal, once you have completed the registration of interest form. This is the start of stage one. The target is to complete stage one within two months. This stage is where your suitability to be an adopter is addressed and confirmed. Referees, medical, why you want to be an adopter, who you would likely be appropriate for (number of children, ages, needs, backgrounds...) and police checks. You get your first part of the training in this stage and complete a workbook as you go through. I've heard people describe it as having homework every week in between your social worker visits. 


Stage two has a target duration of four months. This is the main assessment and training stage. (There is specific training for Close Friends and family.) Your strengths as a parent are being assessed and all goes into an Adopter Report written by the social worker, which goes to a panel to approve. If approved you move on to stage three  


Stage three
This is the stage where you are looking for your match. I'll cover this in much more detail in a different post. 
Once a match had been found and the initial checks and discussions have been held, the decision goes to an approval panel to agree it.

Stage four
You get an introduction period - this can vary - two weeks wasn't unusual previously but can be six or can be whatever is needed as a series of visits and short stays leading up to the child moving in. After a while, you can apply to the court to become their legal parent. 


Those were my cliff notes version of the process. Here's a link if you'd like to dig in a bit more:

https://www.first4adoption.org.uk/the-adoption-process/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playful frustration tactics

See this one and recognised myself in it too https://www.facebook.com/share/v/1M2hgBswdT/ That point of frustration is hard and sometimes I do take the moment to put on my own oxygen mask first, I.e. to breathe before I yell. Mostly though, it's better to be a robot or a lion or a monster.  Me doing a play roar and then acting surprised that it wasn't loud or came out wrong &  getting little one to do a bigger roar than me has helped her re regulate far better & far more frequently than trying to encourage calm when she's feeling anything but that!  It's mostly worked out that later she's been about being nervous or excited about something & not quite ready to work out what that feeling is or what has prompted it. A little time with a silly voice saved us a lot of yelling!

Contact prep - the emotional rollercoaster

Oh my goodness! I have said I'd share the good and the bad and phew has this been highlighting a  lot.  This does - so far- have a good ending, but oh my goodness it's been hard work. I will therefore apologise in advance for some ranting and less positive reflections - this isn't everyone's experience, but it's worth sharing in case this is useful for anyone to be prepared/know it's ok! Honestly, Getting this set up has been a lot of hard work and nagging that it shouldn't be. I'm going to skip for now the bit of just getting to the stage of engagement with the social worker about direct contact  The social worker for contact is separate to any of the previous social workers. This social worker's primary responsibility is working with the bio family to support them - though also to be able to assess them - to know the headspace they are in and ensure contact is safe. They are normally responsible for both letterbox and direct contact. They should ge...

Contact - letterbox

(See also  Contact: Letterbox and Voices of birth parents  &  Contact - settling in letter ) Different children and agencies have different letterbox agreements. Contact generally is something they're trying to encourage more in modern day agreements. I'll do a different post on the detail of why's and some of my own thoughts/reflections, but it's likely that there will be an attempt to have at least letterbox contact, even if not direct contact. So, our agreement is once a year, but whilst little one is younger and so much changes so quickly, then i try to put something together for each month, I don't always manage to write it in month, but have the extra bonus of getting to use it as a lovely tool to think about the changes, developments and achievements in that month. I've been able to share when LO is asking questions about them, or about when she was with them - one example was when a friend was pregnant they showed her their ultrasound and LO asked ab...