Skip to main content

Contact - settling in letter

I had made a lot of notes about things i wanted to consider for letterbox contact (see Contact: Letterbox and Voices of birth parents), but it was still hard to work out what to include and how to do it.

I was able to share how she was settling in (well, thankfully!), some activities she'd started to enjoy and i asked Little one (LO) for some favourites (colour, animal, tv show, activities, number....) I included some handprints so they had something that LO had touched directly and that gave them something specific from her.

I also mentioned talking about birth family with LO, so that they knew she still knew about them. This also gave a good way in to asking a couple of questions, including whether they were able to share any photos that i could show LO - of them together or LO as a baby.

I didn't get a specific reply back to the settling in letters (multiple family members) and am not sure they were given the chance to, however, they did send some additional photos via the social worker, so that was quite significant. As well as putting these in a physical album, i also put these in a (private) online album so that i could quickly bring them up if in conversation with LO and they requested it/ it felt appropriate. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book - adoptive children in school

Spotted this one on fb and thought it was worth capturing and sharing

Contact prep - the emotional rollercoaster

Oh my goodness! I have said I'd share the good and the bad and phew has this been highlighting a  lot.  This does - so far- have a good ending, but oh my goodness it's been hard work. I will therefore apologise in advance for some ranting and less positive reflections - this isn't everyone's experience, but it's worth sharing in case this is useful for anyone to be prepared/know it's ok! Honestly, Getting this set up has been a lot of hard work and nagging that it shouldn't be. I'm going to skip for now the bit of just getting to the stage of engagement with the social worker about direct contact  The social worker for contact is separate to any of the previous social workers. This social worker's primary responsibility is working with the bio family to support them - though also to be able to assess them - to know the headspace they are in and ensure contact is safe. They are normally responsible for both letterbox and direct contact. They should ge...

Playful frustration tactics

See this one and recognised myself in it too https://www.facebook.com/share/v/1M2hgBswdT/ That point of frustration is hard and sometimes I do take the moment to put on my own oxygen mask first, I.e. to breathe before I yell. Mostly though, it's better to be a robot or a lion or a monster.  Me doing a play roar and then acting surprised that it wasn't loud or came out wrong &  getting little one to do a bigger roar than me has helped her re regulate far better & far more frequently than trying to encourage calm when she's feeling anything but that!  It's mostly worked out that later she's been about being nervous or excited about something & not quite ready to work out what that feeling is or what has prompted it. A little time with a silly voice saved us a lot of yelling!